Saturday, October 12, 2013

Mystic and Rider by Sharon Shinn

Mystic and Rider by Sharon Shinn
I'm a sucker for a well written romance. And a romance where the chick gets to throw fire at people? Even better!

I appreciated this novel because a) there were many well developed characters, not just the main two, b) the "romantic tension" keeps up for the entirety of the novel with out seeming forced, and c) I like both the hero AND the heroine in this story...which doesn't always happen!

Truthfully, it's hard to say if this book is a heroic fantasy with a romantic subplot, or a romance dressed up like a heroic fantasy...I'm leaning towards the latter. However, for my gentleman readers, there's still some sword fighting, shape shifting, and other good manly stuff, so don't feel too put off...

I'm do something for you guys a little later, I promise.

Characterization: 7/10
Fun level: 8/10
Cleanliness rating--I would put this at a PG-13...but one of the later books in the series deals with an affair (that comes to a suitable tragic end). You have been warned.
Plot: Good to fair.

P.S. Yes, my rating system is based on what ever comes to mind when I'm typing each post. Deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment