Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Book Thief

The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak
I was standing in the middle of the bookstore, delaying the inevitable homework, when I picked this up a few years back. The first few lines hooked me. They were different, and lyrical, and intriguing. When I had finished the first chapter, I tucked the hardback under my arm, and headed to the register.

Here's an excerpt. Perhaps you'll see.

"You are going to die.

I am in all truthfulness attempting to be cheerful about this whole topic, though most people find themselves hindered in believing me, no matter my protestations. Please, trust me. I most definitely can be cheerful. I can be amiable. Agreeable. Affable. And that's only the A's. Just don't' ask me to be nice. Nice has nothing to do with me."


I read that, and I thought---huh???? Perhaps you've already heard who narrates this book, but if you haven't, I won't ruin that delicious secret. You'll figure it out somewhere in the first few chapters. Then you'll meat Liesel, a young book-stealing girl in Nazi Germany. I remember liking her. I don't remember what happens at the end. I might have cried. I remember being satisfied...and thinking of the strange beauty in this book amidst all of the war.

I think I just might reread this. Care to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment